Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Grocery Outlet



Recently, I have become more aware of the phenomenon and tragedy that is Grocery Outlet. There are now two stores within a 3 mile radius from our lovely neighborhood in North Seattle and I have started hitting the aisles at the 130th and Aurora location a couple of times a month. I have gotten some great deals and a lot of weird and highly unusual items as well.

For instance, we have needed a new umbrella for our table in the backyard. I have been making mentally preparations to spend around a $100. Earlier this summer, I got home from work and lo and behold, Bob had bought us a new umbrella for $14! What the what! Other items that seem to good to be true have been Annie's organic fruit snacks and crackers. I can't remember the exact price but I estimate around 30% cheaper then Target and Safeway. I also got a huge bag of flax seed for around $2. So we have saved some money but I usually do not buy fruit snacks and crackers but I was lured in by the price.

We have also had some major disasters at the outlet. The first time I was there I bought a few cans of beans for a chilli I was making and then looked around for a snack. I grabbed a bag of beef jerky that I think was called ends and pieces. Those pieces of God knows what were HORRIBLE. I think it might have been cat or dinosaur meat that the found somewhere. It was incredibly tough and I know this is going to sound really bizarre but it was kind of dusty or ashy. It felt like I had taken a bite of rotten meat that had been dehydrated.

WOW, after writing that I feel a need to take some deep cleansing breath's.



OK, I am feeling better.

I recently bought toilet paper and the only way to describe it was that it was old. It feels like it had been sitting on the shelves for a long time and has gotten a little soggy and then was re-dried along the way. So freaking weird.

I have more to say, so Jen and Bex get ready for more thrilling posts from the underworld of Grocery Outlet.

3 comments:

The Shinnicks said...

You're so funny! :) I splurge and buy Charmin for my booty. Want me to send you some? Ooh, I just might. As a joke. :) Stop eating ashy cat jerky. Bad for your health. If you're gonna eat cat, at least have a manapua. JK. Love you.

Unknown said...

I'm not sure I want to hear more! Colleen you are a real piece of work! Why in the world would you buy anything meat-related that was called Ends and Pieces!? Really. I am stumped on that one. I almost barfed reading about that. You crack me up!!!

Jacky said...

Hey, i use the decrepit old tp!!